Thursday, December 4, 2008

Response to some tough questions

Blogging is in deed interactive, so this is my chance to reply to some questions asked of me about superstitions.

My last post was about horoscope as a superstition. In case you didn't read my last post, I defined what a superstition was and compared it to a horoscope. I also touched on the attributes that my son possess as an Aries, the first sign of the zodiac. A couple of questions came of that post, and I will do my best to explain and answer those in this one.

Julie P asked, "So in the end, do you believe it's [horoscope] true when you consider your son?" Although your question is a simple one, it is a bit complicated to answer. I am not one of those people who checked yahoo.com everyday to see my horoscope, but I have been know to see glace at mine (Virgo), my wife's (Pieces), and now my son's (Aries). I guess what I am trying to say is that I do believe in them, but only to a certain degree. To me, I would have to compare a horoscope to a fortune cookie, broad and vague but one that will fit the bill of any occasion. My son is shaping up to be the typical Aries, energetic, a bit of a dare devil, and a leader (he is the only kid that I have even know to start children milestone [rolling over, crawling, etc] earlier than expected).

BloodSweat. Your question is even harder to answer. "In your opinion what is the difference between the definition of superstition and a organized religion?" When you asked what the difference between organized religion and superstition, I must admit, I had to look up "organized religion". In one of my earlier post, I stated that superstitions are deeply rooted in religion. In a way, I believe the two terms can be interchangeable. A religion can have superstitions, but not all superstitions are religious. Some are just cause and effect.

Another answer to your question would be that religion refers to a god or higher being where as superstitions do not all have that common ground. While a lot of superstitions deal with spirits [good and evil], some do not.

I consider myself a fairly superstitious person as well as a fairly religious person. Growing up, my mother instilled in me a strong since in God, Jesus, and his teaching. Growing up in a rural community deep in the piny woods of Texas, she also exposed us to a grocery list of superstitious acts. For instance, she would make us eat something green on New Years Day to bring money into the house, we always had a horse shoe over the front door for good luck, and heavy help you if you swept over someone's feet, hit someone with a broom, or stepped over one for that matter.

All in all, if you believe that something good or bad, positive or negative, something is right or wrong, then that is what you believe. Whether it is rooted in religion, tradition, or you just do it because that is all you know, then I say stick with it.

I had a western civilization class last semester, and my professor said numerous times that the Romans never really invented anything. When they conquered civilizations, they just assimilated the culture, customs, and religions of the conquered. If their civilization had 10 deities, and the Romans had 30, then the Romans would have 40. My point behind saying that is this: the more you believe, the merrier.

4 comments:

Bloodsweatnofear said...

Interesting post. Thanks for answering my quesiton.
I have another. Since you brought up the Romans, do you feel that superstision is a way the American's have bonded over the years?

Fed said...

Bloodsweat, to answer your question, I would have to say "no". I think there have been a lot more things in American history that united us more than superstition. Now, If you got more specific and spoke about if religion bonded us together, I would have to make an compelling argument for that statement.

C Woods said...

I am wondering if you ever heard or saw the Amazing Randi's demonstration concerning astrology? Randi is an illusionist. He has repeated this demonstration many times in many settings. I first saw it on a PBS special.

Randi has 12 folders with astrological print-outs in each. As people sit down, they are asked their signs and are given a printout from one of the twelve folders face-down. When everyone is ready, they are asked to read their personality information, but not to show or discuss it with others and turn it face down after reading.

Randi then asks those to stand up who think their astrological readings are generally accurate. Almost everyone stands up ---usually 90-100%.

Then he asks the people to pass their readings to the person behind them (with the last person in the row, passing his/hers to the front.)

It turns out that all the horoscope readings are exactly the same, no matter when someone was born. These are actual readings done by an astrologist for one of the 12 signs.

Then Randi points out that the stars have no effect whatsoever on daily lives. That horoscopes and astrological readings are purposely written without details so that they can apply to nearly anyone.

I have noticed that they generally include some positive attributions that everyone wishes/hopes they have. For example, a horoscope might say that you are honest, helpful, or that you are smarter than others think. Well, of course I want to think I am honest and helpful and smart. The readings also often include things that are true of everyone. They might say that you lack confidence. EVERYONE lacks confidence about something. Or that a lie you told will come back to haunt you. Everyone lies.

We often see what we believe.

Obviously, I don't believe in astrology ---I never believed it, even before I saw Randi's demo, but then I am skeptical about almost everything until I see verifiable proof of it.

C Woods said...

Re: Religion bonding us together---

Religion can bond us but it can also tear us apart. Take the Religious Right, for example. By trying to push one particular interpretation of evangelical Christianity and make it a political issue, they have alienated mainstream Christians, Jews, Muslims, nonbelievers, gays, and probably a whole slew of other people.

I can barely think of one world conflict that didn't/doesn't have something to do with religion: the Crusades, the Spanish inquisition, Salem witch trials, the Holocaust, fundamentalist Muslim terrorism, Northern Ireland, Middle East, the recent killings in India. In Brazil slaves were told they would be killed if they didn't become Christians, Christians, Jews, and Muslims never lived peacefully in Israel. Europe was plagued with Holy Wars for centuries and that is why so many Europeans are secular today ---they've had it with religion.

As Mark Twain said: “Man is the Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion ---several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself, and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.”