Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Aries



I want to pose a questions to the readers of this blog. The question is this: Do you think that believe in horoscopes and zodiac signs are considered superstitions? Well, lets look at the definition of the two words.

Superstition: 1 a: a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation b: an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition2: a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary. (Merriam-Webster)

Horoscope: 1 : a diagram of the relative positions of planets and signs of the zodiac at a specific time (as at one's birth) for use by astrologers in inferring individual character and personality traits and in foretelling events of a person's life 2 : an astrological forecast. (Merriam-Webster)

To me, the key words that stand out in the definition of horoscope is,"foretelling events of a person's life", while the big ticket in the superstition definition is, "fear of the unknown". So, I iffer is that if you fear what you don't know, then checking out your daily horoscope can be form of superstition. Makes sense right?

Whether it is in the back of a magazine, or next to the Sudoku puzzle in the paper, I bet everyone has glanced at their daily horoscope once or twice in their life. Some people check their daily horoscope before they go to work or school just to keep themselves sharp on what to expect for the day. Others use it to check the compatability of their siginificant other, or even to predict their child's personality.

I am not one to really believe in horoscopes, but I got to thinking about my eight month old son today. He was born on April 7, 2008, which makes him an Aries.


Arians are usually very energetic, daring, adventureious, confident, quick on their feet, passionate and friendly. On the other side of the pillow, Arians tend to be self centered, quick tempered, hasty to action, "me first" attitude, and naivé at times.

My son is definitely a square peg for a square hole. Highly energetic, attentive, adventurous, and self motivated, Quinten already posseses several of the Aries stong points. Being that his skin is the color of cappuccino, his eyes change like the leaves of autum, and his hair grows like rip curls of the ocean, I know he is going to be the monkey that stops the show [From the expression, "One monkey doesn't stop the show"]. I guess we will have to see him grow up to find out if the bad attributes of the Arian will come out!






Works Cited:

"horoscope." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2008.
Merriam-Webster Online. 2 December 2008http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/horoscope

"superstition." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2008.
Merriam-Webster Online. 2 December 2008

4 comments:

Kat said...

I loved this. You beautifully described your son and the pictures confirmed the words. Horoscopes to me are so fun to read. I am an aries too, and I certainly fit that bill. It's crazy to see how accurately horoscopes can emulate people. This post was great and I loved the cute pictures.

Bloodsweatnofear said...

Cute boy. Congratulations Dad! So I have a question for you. It is a little off topic, but I am curious. In your opinion what is the difference between the defintion of supersition and a organized religon?

You have a hard topic to write on, especially to keep ot going for so long. I just wanted to say that I think you are doing a great job.

Julie P.Q. said...

I've always wondered about horoscopes...I'm a Taurus, and to hear people like my mom or sister describe me, it suits me quite clearly. So in the end, do you believe it's true when you consider your son?

Funnily enough, I'm also a bull in the Chinese horoscopes that do years instead of months. It can't be too much of a coincidence?

And I'd love your answer to Larry--is there a difference between religion and superstition? That would make a great post.

RYNO said...

Wow all I can say is that post was gangster. In a very good way. I never thought of horoscopes that way and really never paid them much attention. I do know that somebody brought it to my attention that if you and your significant other are both the same zodiac sign that it brings conflicts. I have seen it from time to time just talking shop around the office. More great info ps your son is a cutie.