Friday, December 12, 2008

Karma: The Final Superstition Blog...Or Is It?


All good things must come to an end. It seems like just yesterday that all of us were scrambling around to find an empty seat with a computer that didn't have issue for that first day of English 112. Some of us had no idea what to expect; some of us just figured that this would be another boring English class where you read a piece of literature and write papers about them. Alas, a curveball entered into the pitch count [a baseball metaphor explaining how something was different from the normal]. "Professor Peluso [or Quinn, whatever you want to call yourself now!], first of all, you mean I don't have to call you Professor? Second, you are saying that this class does not have any required text to read, no papers to write, and no strict syllabus to follow? Lastly, you are telling me that this class will be all about internet blogging? This is madness!" All of these things immediately rushed into my brain housing group that first day. I must admit, I was a little nervous. I didn't know anything about internet blogging, let alone even know how to create my own.

Blogging for me has been enjoyable. Often times, I would catch myself feeling proud of a post that I just created or quickly jumping on the computer to see if anyone posted comments. Even though superstition is not the easiest of topics to choose from, I felt like I made it my own. Maybe I did not bring anything new to the table, but hopefully, I entertained or educated.

Karma is the belief that if something good is done for someone, then good will be reciprocated back on the doer. This class has done just that. By opening ourselves up for comments, critique, and suggestions from other students about our respected blogs, we ultimately became the benefiter of something better. Think about it; by leaving a positive comment on a classmate’s blog, you personally connected with that person and vise versa. Speaking for myself, if someone commented on one of my blogs, the next class that I saw that person, we made some kind of personal encounter, something that is hard to do in an eight week class.

Blogging in this class has expanded my knowledge of everything from drive shafts to Japan. I am glad that I had this chance to learn, share, and grow as a writer.

1 comment:

Julie P.Q. said...

Bravo! This was an excellent summary post, but I sincerely hope that you don't end your forays into blog writing. I'm amazed at how well you've managed what could have been a difficult topic; yet you kept "Superstition" going strongly the whole truncated semester. That's impressive.

I do have to quibble with you on one point, though: wouldn't you count the analysis paper as a paper to write? ;)